STOP THE KILLER DRONES!
Signholding/Protest at First Friday Art
Friday, February 1, 6:30-8:30pm
Corner of Bethel & Hotel (next to
We have some awesome new banners! We'll have the huge drone replica (weather permitting)! We'll have our petition for people to sign! If you haven't already signed, do it now at: petition. And we need you to be on the corner with us.
Hawai`i's campaign against drones is now happening on three islands - O`ahu, Maui, and Hawai`i. Here's why you need to jump into this campaign:
* The use of Predator and Reaper drones ( by the US military and CIA has caused thousands of deaths in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen and Somalia, many of whom are women and children. Drone strikes are illegal and immoral and Hawai`i is directly involved. The use of drones as a weapon of war is illegal and immoral!
• President Obama has drastically increased drone strikes and has expanded the use of drones for spying throughout the Middle East and North Africa.
• Drone strikes are in violation of Article 2(4) of the UN Charter. Most drone strikes take place hundreds of miles away from any battlefield where U.S. forces are engaged in combat. The UN Charter limits the use of military force—like drones—in or against another country to self-defense, and only in response to an imminent threat.
• Drone attacks are in violation of international and domestic laws guaranteeing due or lawful process. Most drone attacks are against groups or individuals the U.S. doesn’t even know and can’t individually identify. • Initial drone strikes are frequently followed by strikes on those who come to the aid of the victims of that attack – frequently rescuers, loved ones, or neighbors (a practice the U.S. military calls a “double tap”).
• Drone strikes lack any accountability whatsoever since they are conducted with the push of a button from thousands of miles away;
• Drone strikes do not make us safer. .Just the opposite. Each strike generates more anger, violence and revenge.
• Hawai`i plays a crucial role in the U.S. military’s ability to carry out its illegal and immoral drone warfare. Drones are being used in training at the Pohakaloa Military Training area on the Big Island; both Wheeler Air Force Base and Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station are authorized drone bases. U.S. Representative Colleen Hanabusa is a member of the Congressional Drone Caucus, which was formed to increase the use of drones.